✅ He was born in 1639 to Shahaji Bhonsle, a Maratha general who held the jagirs of Pune and Supe under the Bijapur Sultanate and Jijabai, a pious woman whose religious qualities had a profound influence on him.
✅ He displayed his military zeal for the first time in 1645 when as a teenager, he successfully got control of the Torna Fort which was under Bijapur. He also acquired the Kondana Fort. Both these forts were under Adil Shah of Bijapur.
✅He took on the titles of Chhatrapati, Shakakarta, Kshatriya Kulavantas and Haindava Dharmodhhaarak.
Important battles associated with him:
- Battle of Pratapgad, 1659.
- Battle of Pavan Khind, 1660.
- Battle of Purandar, 1665.
- Battle of Sinhagad, 1670.
- Battle of Kalyan, 1682-83.
- Battle of Sangamner, 1679.