The scholarship at pre-matric level will encourage parents from minority communities to send their school going children to school, lighten their financial burden on school education and sustain their efforts to support their children to complete school education. Empowerment through education, which is one of the objectives of this scheme, has the potential to lead to Upliftment of the socio economic conditions of the minority communities
Coverage of the Scheme
The scholarship will be awarded for studies in India in a government or private school from class I to class X, including such residential Government institutes and eligible private institutes selected and notified in a transparent manner by the State Government and Union Territory Administration concerned.
Muslims, Sikhs, Christians, Buddhists, Jain and Zoroastrians (Parsis) have been notified as minority communities under Section 2 (c) of the National Commission for Minorities Act, 1992. A total of thirty (30) lakh scholarships are targeted to be distributed as ‘Fresh’ Scholarships, besides, Renewal scholarships. The distribution of scholarship among the States/Union Territories will be made on the basis of population of minorities in the States/Union Territories as per Census 2001 for 2017-18 and as per the population of minorities in the States/Union Territories of Census 2011 for 2018-19 and 2019-20
Earmarked for girl students
30% of scholarship will be earmarked for girl students. In case sufficient numbers of eligible girl students are not available, then the balance earmarked scholarships may be awarded to eligible boy students.
Scholarship will be awarded to the students who have secured not less than 50% marks in the previous final examination and annual income of their parents/guardian from all sources does not exceed Rs. 1 Lakh.
Conditions for Scholarship
- Scholarship will be available to the students of minority community studying in Classes I to X.
- An Income Certificate, issued from a Competent Authority in the State/UT Governments is required in respect of parent/guardian of the student.
- A Self-Certified Community Certificate is required from the student who has attained 18 years of age. For others the Community Certificate certified by parent/guardian of the student is required.
- The continuance of award (for Renewal applicants) will be subject to securing 50% marks in the previous years examination.
- Maintenance allowance will be provided to hostellers and day scholars.
- Scholarship will not be given to more than two students from a family (applicable for all Scholarship schemes meant for minorities under this Ministry taken together).
- Students should be regular in attendance for which the yardstick will be decided by the competent authority of the school.
- The school/institute will certify the claim of student of being an outstation student not residing in hostel of the school/institute concerned on the basis of permanent address and parents’ address.
- Migration of student from one school/institute to another would not normally be during the course of academic year except under exceptional circumstances and in the interest of student’s academic career.
- If a student violates school discipline or any other terms and conditions of the scholarship, scholarship may be suspended or cancelled. The State Government/Union Territory Administration can also directly cancel the award if duly satisfied of the reasons of violation of these regulations governing the scheme.
- If a student is found to have obtained a scholarship by false statement, his/her scholarship will be cancelled forth with and the amount of the scholarship paid will be recovered, at the discretion of the concerned State Government/Union Territory Administration.
- The course/tuition fees and maintenance allowance will be credited to the student’s bank account directly under Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) mode.
- The student obtaining benefits under this scheme shall not be allowed to avail of benefits under any other scheme for this purpose.
- A student shall be eligible for only one scholarship for all sources, i.e., SC/ST/OBC.
- It will be necessary for the eligible applicants to provide Aadhaar number while applying for the scholarship and in case, an individual does not possess Aadhaar one can provide the details of alternative identification documents, as stated in the Gazette Notification-S.O. No. 1284 (E) No. 1137, dated 21.04.2017.
- The scheme will be evaluated at regular intervals by the Ministry or any other agency designated by the Ministry and the cost of the evaluation will be borne by the Ministry of Minority Affairs under the provision of the scheme.
- The State/Union Territory shall place all relevant details of financial and physical achievements on their website.
- The regulations can be changed at any time at the discretion of the Government of India.
Scholarship Amount and Duration
Actual financial assistance will be provided for admission/tuition fee and maintenance allowance as given below subject to a maximum ceiling indicated against item concerned.
|S.No||Item||Rate of Scholarship|
|1||Rate of Scholarship Admission + Tuition Fee||Admission Fee for Class VI to X:Rs. 500/- per annum subject to actuals (both Hosteller & DayScholar)Tuition Fee for Class VI to X:Rs. 350/-per month subject to actuals (both Hosteller & DayScholar)|
|3||Maintenance allowance||For Class I to V*: Rs. 100/-per month for Day ScholarFor Class VI to X*:Rs. 600/-per month for HostellerRs. 100/-per month for Day Scholar* For 10 months in an academic year.|
* Hostellers include students who are staying in hostel of the school/institute concerned or those provided by the State Government/Union Territory Administration concerned.
Renewal of Scholarship
The scholarship, once awarded, may be renewed during next academic year of the course on the production of certificate that the student has secured 50% marks.
Click here for online application and complete information on the Scheme.
Last date for submission of application is Click
For FAQs on online application submission, Click here
Source : For complete information on Pre-matric scholarships for students belonging to the minority communities in India, Click here