To establish an enabling environment to reduce the drop outs and to promote the enrolment of girl child belonging to SC/ST communities in secondary schools and ensure their retention up to the 18 years of age.
A sum of Rs. 3000 (Rupees three thousand only) would be deposited under term deposit/ fixed deposit in a public sector bank or in a post office in the name of every eligible girl child. The term/ period of the deposit may be counted from the date of deposit to the date on which the girl child attains the age of 18 years. No premature withdrawal will be allowed.
Target Group and components
- The Scheme will cover
- All SC/ST girls who pass class VIII and
- Girls, who pass class VIII examination from Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidhalayas (irrespective of whether they belong to Scheduled Castes or Tribes) and enroll for class IX in State/UT Government, Government-aided or local body schools. Married girls will be excluded from the scheme. Girl children studying in private unaided schools are proposed to be excluded since a majority of such schools charge high fees and therefore, parents of such girl students may not require the financial assistance that is being offered under this scheme. Students enrolled in schools run by Central Government are also being excluded from the scheme, as these children are either fully provided for already, or are those of Central Government employees, who can afford education of their children, without further support.
- The girl child receiving incentive may be entitled to draw the amount on attainment of 18 years of age. The amount of incentive may be transferred to the Central Government’s account in the unfortunate event of the death of the student before attaining the age of 18 years.
- To be eligible for the benefit under the scheme the girl should be unmarried and should be below 16 years of age (as on 31st March) on joining class IX. The scheme is made applicable to the girls, who pass class VIII examination from Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidhyalayas irrespective of whether they belong to Scheduled Castes or Tribes.
- There would be no restriction based on income criteria for grant of incentive to girls, because SC/ST girls and girls passing out from KGBVs and studying in Government, Government-aided and local body schools would generally be from disadvantaged section of the society.
Process of Execution
- The information of all the students of a school will be compiled in excel sheet and verified by the Principal of the school, which will then be sent to District Education Officers either through mail or in CD and hard copy.
- District level uploading/ verification by District Education Officer will be done on the National Scholarship Portal (NSP).
- State level verification by State Nodal Officer and submission of list of beneficiaries/proposal of the State over Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) on NSP
- The mobile number can be given either of the student or parent / guardian / neighbour / friend etc.
- Aadhaar Enrolment ID (EID) can be used in case Aadhaar number of the student is not available. However, Aadhaar seeded Bank Account number is to be provided latest by 31st October, 2016 for making disbursement of scholarship.
- The beneficiary will have to continue her study at least for two years in the secondary school after her enrollment in Class IX in order to avail the benefit under the scheme. The Principal/ Head of the school will furnish a certificate to this effect.
- To be eligible to draw the matured amount a pre-condition would be for the beneficiary to pass class X Board examination successfully.
- On attaining 18 years of age and production of
- 10th class pass certificate and
- A certificate from the Principal / Head of the school that the girl beneficiary has continued her study for at least two years after enrolment in Class IX the implementing agency will authorize the bank to transfer the matured amount in the interest bearing account to the savings account in the name of the girl beneficiary
For online application, Click here
Source: For complete information on Incentives to Girls for Secondary Education Scheme, Click here