- Which institution passed a landmark law to make reporting sex abuse obligatory?
a) Catholic Church
b) United Nations
d) Indian Film Industry
2. Which country recently reported the first ever case of the Monkeypox Virus?
3. India’s new species of reddish brown pit viper was recently discovered in which state?
a) Himachal Pradesh
c) Arunachal Pradesh
4. Which magazines recently released its cover featuring image of PM Narendra Modi with headline ‘India’s Divider in Chief’?
5. Which country has become the second one in the world to declare climate emergency?
a) United States
6. Who among the following Indian actresses has been appointed by the UN as its SDG advocate?
a) Alia Bhatt
b) Sonali Bendre
c) Dia Mirza
d) Sushmita Sen
7. The Supreme Court has granted how much time to the Ayodhya mediation panel to come to a solution?
a) 3 months
b) 2 months
c) 1 month
d) 5 months
8. The Supreme Court has refused to regularise the pay of contractual teachers belonging to which state?
a) Uttar Pradesh
9. The Iranian regime has given how many days to the European Union, Russia and China to implement their commitments to the 2015 nuclear deal?
10. Which state police deployed the first ever anti-Naxal women’s commando unit?
a) West Bengal
c) Andhra Pradesh
- (a) Catholic Church
Catholic Church head, Pope Francis released ‘Motu Proprio’ declaring that those, who suspect sexual abuse in the Catholic Church or have a hint about it, are obliged to report it promptly to the church authorities.
- (b) Singapore
The first case of Monkeypox Virus was reported in Singapore recently. As per the authorities, the virus was brought in by a Nigerian man who arrived in Singapore in April 2019. The virus is similar to the human smallpox.
- (c) Arunachal Pradesh
A new species of venomous reddish-brown pit viper was discovered in the West Kameng district of Arunachal Pradesh by a team of herpetologists led by Ashok Captain.
- (d) TIME
TIME magazine features Prime Minister Narendra Modi with the headline ‘India’s Divider in Chief’ in its May 20, 2019 edition. The headline pertains to the story “Can the World’s Largest Democracy Endure Another Five Years of a Modi Government?” by journalist Aatish Taseer.
- (b) Ireland
Ireland has become the second nation after Britain to declare a climate emergency. The Irish Parliament accepted an amendment to a parliamentary report declaring a “climate emergency” and calling on parliament to examine how the Irish government can improve its response to the issue of biodiversity loss without a vote on May 9.
- (c) Dia Mirza
Indian actress Dia Mirza and Alibaba chief Jack Ma have been appointed by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres as the new advocates for the UN’s ambitious Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). They will be among the new class of ‘SDG Advocates’, which includes 17 influential public figures.
- (a) 3 months
The Supreme Court has granted time extension to the Ayodhya mediation panel to come up with an amicable solution in the Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid land dispute case till August 15, 2019. The decision was taken by a five-judge constitution bench of the apex court comprising Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi, Justices S A Bobde, Chandrachud, Ashok Bhushan and Abdul Nazeer.
- (d) Bihar
The Supreme Court has set aside the order of the Patna High Court, in which it had ruled that contract teachers in the state are entitled to a salary that is at par with the regular permanent teachers. The 3.5 lakh contractual teachers had demanded that they should also be given the same salary and benefits as the regular teachers as they were doing the same work and had the same educational qualification.
- (a) 60
Iran has announced the suspension of two key commitments, first being the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) that Iran was adhering to, which includes the sale of surplus enriched uranium and heavy water. The regime also gave the European Union, Russia and China 60 days to implement their financial and oil commitments to the deal, upon the failure of which, Iran would resume production of higher-enriched uranium, which is currently capped.
- (d) Chhattisgarh
Chhattisgarh Police deployed anti-Naxal women’s commando unit for the first time. This team is inducted in District Reserve Guard (DRG), the frontline of anti-Naxal force.