Maulana Azad College of Technology (MACT) started functioning in1960 at Govt. S.V. Polytechnic with an intake of 120 students and seven faculty members.
At that time Shri S.R. Beedkar, Principal of S.V. Polytechnic was the planning officer of the institute. Shri J.N.Moudgill joined in 1962 as the first principal of MACT. In 1963, MACT shifted to the new campus partially completed academic building.
The Institute is named after the renowned educationalist and scholar, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, former Union Education Minister, Government of India. The foundation stone of the Institute building laid by the Prime Minister late Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru on 23rd April 1961.The Institute Progressed into the higher level of an education center in the steady development of infrastructure as well as academics.
Presently 29 M. Tech courses are running. Ordinance of UG, PG and PhD were established.
In 2012 new girls hostel of the capacity of 600 was built and presently about 900 girls students are staying in the hostel. Boys hostel with the capacity of 1000 was completed in 2013 and during that time sports complex and vehicle shed were completed. In 2014 and 2015 four department blocks and new teaching block completed.
In 2014 Institute made an artificial lake “Lotus Lake” and Boat club. In the same year department of Biological Science and Engineering and three centre of excellence namely
1. Energy Centre
3. GIS and GPS and Nano Science and Engineering.